Wildcat Field Hockey Tournament

Karyna Hetman

On Saturday September 8th, Centreville High School’s Varsity Field Hockey Team, coached by Nawal Kassem, competed in a high school field hockey tournament taking place at Lake Braddock Secondary High School. The CVHS girls played against Edison High School, Marshall High School, and West Springfield High School.

The girls were scheduled to play on Friday the 7th as well, but due to weather conditions, all the teams had to wait inside the school while the thunderstorm subsided. Unfortunately for the eager teams, all games for Friday were canceled.

The varsity field hockey girls had to make an early commute the next morning for their first game against Marshall High School at 8:30 am. Both teams put up a good fight, and ended in a tie of 1 to 1. Centreville’s  goal was scored by junior, Megan Lymburner.

The second game reeled in a bit more of an audience due to the later time, 11 am. Some of the JV Centreville Field Hockey girls came in support to cheer on their team. Unfortunately, the game ended 0-1 in favor of the opposing team, West Springfield. Centreville, nonetheless, played a strong, exceptional game.

The final game for Centreville was played at 1:30 pm against Edison High School. The girls came through with yet another tie, but this time the final scoring was 0-0. Although the girls did not quite pull through with a win, together they all showed strong teamwork, good sportsmanship, and overall good stick work. All three goalies, (freshman) Mattie Cuomo, (sophomore) Rachel Travers, and (senior) Aidan LeBlanc, did outstanding jobs stopping goals, as well as all the field players on varsity.

The general environment during the tournament at Lake Braddock was very lively, supportive, and exciting. The players were all bursting with energy and encouragement for their team. Isabella Shaher, a sophomore on the JV team, says, “They did a good job at making accurate passes and taking the ball up the field.”, after watching the game and cheering on her teammates. Overall, congratulations to our Varsity Field Hockey team for their exceptional performance in the tournament this weekend.