Karyna Hetman, Editor

Karyna Hetman is a Senior at CVHS and is in her second year of Journalism. In addition to being an editor and contributor on the Sentinel staff, she plays field hockey, and enjoys watching movies and listening to music.

All content by Karyna Hetman
Upcoming Celestial Events for Spring 2021

Karyna Hetman
May 14, 2021

As spring is in full bloom, many changes in nature are happening around us, but there are also great transitions happening above us, too. The upcoming spring celestial events create opportunities for fun...

Image Credit: Jordi Chias

Fishing Is Killing the Ocean–Not Plastic Straws

Karyna Hetman
April 23, 2021

In recent years, many efforts have been made to reduce the amount of plastic waste polluting the ocean through encouraging the use of reusable grocery bags and paper or metal straws as opposed to plastic....

Creator: Robert Gauthier/Los Angeles Times

2021 Grammy Recap

Karyna Hetman
March 26, 2021

The 63rd Grammy Awards, music's biggest night, has come and gone this past Sunday, March 14, breaking records and traditions in response to the pandemic. This year, the Grammys had to work around COVID-19...

Creator: Spencer Platt

Texas Snowstorm Disaster

Karyna Hetman
February 24, 2021

Starting Saturday, February 13, a severe snowstorm swept its way through the U.S., surprisingly hitting the South the hardest. While snow days can be filled with excitement and the beauty of the fluffy...

Creator: Chris OMeara

The Weeknd’s 2021 Super Bowl Halftime Performance

Karyna Hetman
February 12, 2021

Canadian singer/songwriter and record producer, Abel Tesfaye, A.K.A The Weeknd, earned the honor of performing halftime at the 2021 Super Bowl. Taking place in Tampa Bay, Florida at Raymond James Stadium,...

A COVID-19 particle. (CDC/Contributed photo/TNS)
Creator: Nathan Lindstrom

New COVID-19 Variants

Karyna Hetman
February 5, 2021

With the COVID-19 pandemic still in its peak, new worry has come about as mutations in the virus have brought about new variants. The CDC explains “viruses constantly change through mutation, and new...

The Perks of Being a Wallflower Book Review

“The Perks of Being a Wallflower” Book Review

Karyna Hetman
January 15, 2021

Stephen Chbosky’s The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a coming of age story following the life of the protagonist, Charlie, as he navigates his way through his first year of high school. It touches on...

Photo Credit: Christopher Hanewinckel

COVID-19 and Winter Sports

Karyna Hetman
December 16, 2020

Throughout the entirety of the global pandemic, such few things have remained the same, making this new reality scary and unpredictable. Fortunately, sports for CVHS are still being held this year, bringing...

(Photo By: Henry Ford Health System)

Possible COVID-19 Vaccine

Karyna Hetman
November 18, 2020

The Coronavirus pandemic has been negatively impacting the U.S. for nine months and counting, and a magic cure to solve this problem is a wish shared across the globe. Although there is no easy fix, drug-making...

(Photo By : Markus Schreiber)

Berlin Museum Artifact Damage

Karyna Hetman
November 4, 2020

On Saturday, October 3, 63 artifacts in the Berlin Museum Island were defaced, resulting in a crime that remains much of a mystery. The investigation is still ongoing for the suspect or suspects that are...

Mysterious Elephants Deaths in Botswana and Zimbabwe

Karyna Hetman and Crystal Kalin
October 16, 2020

2020 has been a crazy year for everyone, including the elephants of Africa. Beginning in spring of this year, over 330 elephants in Botswana and around 34 elephants in Zimbabwe have died. This was not...

Ongoing Forest Fire Sparked by Gender Reveal

Karyna Hetman
October 2, 2020

Baby blue balloons, delicate pink streamers, and cakes filled with a surprise color inside are all commonplace at a gender reveal party. The ignition of a forest fire that spreads across the west coast...

Image from ENEWS article which was taken from one of Tati Westbrooks videos.

Welcome Back Sister

Karyna Hetman and Kaya Squirewell
June 3, 2019

James Charles, a 19-year-old Youtuber who had around 16.5 million subscribers, was deemed “canceled” after a scandal that was brought to attention on May 16. Tati Westbrook, a fellow Youtuber in the...

The 2019 Kentucky Derby

The 2019 Kentucky Derby

Karyna Hetman
May 17, 2019

Since 1875, the first Saturday in May has been dedicated to the Kentucky Derby in which people make bets and find entertainment in watching top competing horses race. The annual Kentucky Derby took place...

The poster art copyright is believed to belong to the distributor of the item promoted, Universal Pictures, the publisher of the item promoted or the graphic artist.

“Us” Movie Review

Karyna Hetman
May 3, 2019

The psychological horror film written and directed by Jordan Peele, Us, is the new big hit in cinema since its release in March. It has received a rating of 94% on rotten tomatoes and has grossed over...

Photo by Andrea Worker

2019 Student Peace Award Winner Deepika Joshi

Karyna Hetman
April 29, 2019

Fairfax County Public Schools annually gives out a “Student Peace Award,” where they pick students from schools around the county to award their success in working hard to make a difference in and...

National Autism Awareness Month

National Autism Awareness Month

Karyna Hetman
March 28, 2019

Every 1 in 59 children are diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. It is the perfect time to talk about this disability because the month of April is National Autism Awareness Month. According to the...

An Overview of the 91st Academy Awards

An Overview of the 91st Academy Awards

Karyna Hetman
February 26, 2019

The 2019 Oscars aired this past Sunday, February 24, and it was quite a show. The night was filled with celebrities dressed up in elegant clothes, comical award presenters, show stopping performances,...

Source: EPA-EFE/REX/Shutterstock, Uncredited/AP/REX/Shutterstock

Jayme Closs Kidnapping Story

Karyna Hetman
January 31, 2019

In Barren, Wisconsin on October of 2018, 13 year old Jayme Closs was kidnapped by 21 year old Jake Patterson, who also killed Jayme’s parents upon her abduction. Jayme had been accounted for and missing...

(Photo: Alberto E. Rodriguez)

The 2019 Golden Globe Awards

Karyna Hetman
January 11, 2019

The Golden Globes is an event filled with glamorously dressed celebrities, cheering for our favorite actors, directors, and movies to win, and bold statements being made. The 76th Golden Globes award ceremony...

Photo taken by Shayla Sullivan, the owner of Madison.

Pets Found After California Campfire

Karyna Hetman
January 7, 2019

It seems that all the stories we hear from the news are sad and hopeless, but this story however, has a happy ending. A tragic camp fire in California, according to the San Francisco Chronicle, was said...

CVHS vs. Langley HS Girls Varsity Basketball Game

Karyna Hetman
December 6, 2018

Centreville High School Girls Varsity Basketball team had their first home game of the season this past Tuesday, December 4th. Parents, friends, and fans alike came out in support of the Wildcats against...

Above is the official movie poster taken from Universal Studios website.

Illumination’s “The Grinch” Review

Karyna Hetman
November 28, 2018

Dr. Seuss' “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” children’s picture book has sold 650 million copies worldwide, and the cartoon movie has been a classic holiday favorite for 53 years. Children and adults...

What You Didn’t Know About Daylight Saving Time

Karyna Hetman
November 13, 2018

The moment we have all been waiting for to solve our sleep deprivation problems: the end of daylight savings for the year. This Sunday, November 4th, we were greeted with an extra hour of sleep as the...

McKamey Manor: All Fun and Games or Pure Torture?

Karyna Hetman
October 30, 2018

During the fall season, as Halloween draws near, people all over the world visit haunted houses and spooky trails at night to get a sense of what it would be like to be in real life horror movie. However,...

Wildcat Field Hockey Tournament

Wildcat Field Hockey Tournament

Karyna Hetman
September 11, 2018

On Saturday September 8th, Centreville High School’s Varsity Field Hockey Team, coached by Nawal Kassem, competed in a high school field hockey tournament taking place at Lake Braddock Secondary High...

Load More Stories

Comments (0)

All Centreville Sentinel Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest
Activate Search
Karyna Hetman