Wildcats Beat Bulldogs with Buzzer Beater

Jalen Ragsdale

On Friday, January 13, in a crowded, student filled gymnasium, the Varsity Boys’ basketball team prepared to face off their biggest rival, the Westfield bulldogs. Last year, the Bulldogs defeated the Wildcats and fought their way up to win States.The Bulldogs record was 2-7 before the game and they were pretty confident that they could increase their record to 3-7. But, nothing ever comes that easy.

Centreville was coming off of an excellent win, defeating the Herndon Hornets that Tuesday, which is always tough to do due to Herndon’s star players. Using their momentum from the big win earlier in the week, the Wildcats came into the game with a positive mindset and with great intensity to win the game.

Starting the game off, the Wildcats were definitely in control of the game and everything was going their way, offensively and defensively. But, soon the Bulldogs managed to fight back and get on the scoreboard and take the lead in the first half. Going basketball for basket and both teams holding their own, the score remained close and low throughout the entire game.

The 4th quarter, which was undeniably the most exciting part of the game, had the entire gym standing on their feet and screaming, waiting anxiously to see what would happen the on next play. In the final moments of the game, the coaches, fans, and players all knew that fate of the game would come down to a last minute play. Which team would make it was the only thing nobody knew. With a last minute foul, the Bulldogs hit two clutch free throws, giving them the lead, 35-34 with 7 seconds left. Bryce Douglas, sophomore, dribbled the ball up the court calmly, then exploded to the basket to get the And-1 with 0.1 seconds left on the clock. The student section stormed the court and celebrated with the players as the Westfield student section exited the building.

Only the starting five put points on the board for the Wildcats. Senior guard, Marcus Mack, lead the team in scoring dropping 12 points, followed by Douglas’s 11 points. Sophomore,Nate Goldhammer had 8 points, Junior, Caleb Emeogo had 3 points, and Senior,Tyler Lohman had 2 points.

The Boys’ played a great and exciting game against the Bulldogs and they are ready to face-off against Robinson on Tuesday, January 17.