Signing Day

Signing+Day

Kaya Squirewell

The National Signing Day ceremony at Centreville High School brought together 13 of the top athletes who have committed to play next level sports at their chosen colleges and universities. 

Senior highschool student-athletes such as Maria Ball, Nick Anderson, Elijah Jones, Nathan Hyjek, Colby Shriner, Gavin Collins, Thomas Trinca, Emily Drankopolous, Joseph Crowder, Megan Lymburner, Eric Bohenik, Kelvin Paez-Morales and Vynie Chen signed their National Letters of Intent on Wednesday morning, surrounded by coaches, teachers, parents and classmates as they watched in support as they made their commitments in the school’s cafeteria. Basketball players, John Hunter and Lance Douglas, are currently undecided with what school they want to commit to. 

Maria Ball, who signed with Chesapeake College to play catcher on the softball team, has had a thriving love and passion for the game since the age of four. She says she is “very grateful to have the opportunity to play college softball.” She played for the Xplosion club team and for the Wildcats. She is currently undecided with her majors. She is part of the best buddies program here at CVHS and recipient of the wildcat award, while holding a 3.1 GPA. Ball was named 1st team all district and 2nd team all region for the 2019 softball season. 

Gavin Collins started playing baseball at four years old. He played baseball for the MVP Terps/Royals for 3 years. Gavin was named to the first team all concorde district team as well as the 2nd team northern region team. He has been an integral part of the Wildcats program. He can play 3rd base or shortstop, has great speed and at the plate he is the best with runners in scoring position. Collins was voted on the Northern Virginia all defensive team baseball team. He is truly one of the best defenders in the state. He will be taking his talents to Lynchburg to pursue his baseball career. 

Thomas Trinca will be taking his talents to George Mason University for baseball, while maintaining a 3.7 GPA. Playing outfielder, he has been a four year starter for the Wildcats. He played for STAR showcase for the past four years and had a batting average of 400 last season. Trinca’s quiet leadership has led the Wildcats to numerous championship finals. He was 1st team all district 3X, first team all region 2X, first team all state and 2X Washington Post honorable mention all met player. 

Elijah Jones is committed to play soccer at Old Diminion University with a full scholarship. He played for VA state VDA team for three years, and played NVSC for two and a half years. For the wildcats freshman year, Jones made 1st team all conference, top goal scorer as a freshman with nine goals, and scored 2 goals in the state championship. He’s also a proud member of NJHS. He juggles school and soccer from sun up to sun down. He’s not only dedicated to soccer, but keeps up with his grades even with a busy schedule. 

Nathan Hyjek is attending Drexel University for hockey. He was a member of the NHS and was a part of the little capitals youth development program. He played for the Cville club team and the Ashburn X treme. Hyjek played hockey all over the northeast. He was a member of the beantown championships, the chowder cup championships, CCM kings of the east runner up, and was a 2X congressional cup champion. 

Megan Lymburner is committed to Bowdoin University for soccer, but is also a track runner and a field hockey player. She has been on the varsity soccer team for three years, played for SYA Red 01 CCL division one team, competed in the 500 meter indoor track finals, and led her club soccer team to the state cup quarterfinals in the last four years. She was instrumental in her club’s championship team that won the 2017 sereno AZ showcase championships. Her team defeated the 1st club in the nation at the disney showcase in 2018. She was awarded 2019 Cville’s most versatile player award, member of NHS, SSHS, Key club, DECA, operations smile, interning at the Centreville’s animal hospital, while maintaining a 4.17 GPA.

Vynie Chen will be taking her talents to Highpoint University for golf. She is one of the best in the history of CVHS. She has been playing since she was 10. She played for wildcats for four years, participated in the regional championship golf tournament 3X, qualifying for both genders. She attended the state ship golf tourney 3X and also qualified in both girls and boys. Chen played in the LPGA tour pursilk girls junior champ. This summer, she was invited to represent the US and the commonwealth of VA in Scotland. Chen placed 3rd in VSGA Junior golf championships, placed in top eight for two years at Northern region championships, placed runner up in the charger challenge, and was champion of stallion invitational tourney. She is a member of compassion club here at CVHS and carries a 4.0 GPA.

Eric Bohenik is committed to play baseball at Shippensburg University. He played for NOVA Vipers for two years and stars showcase baseball for two years. He has been on varsity since freshman year. He won 1st all district, honorable mention all region, named on the WWBA national championship all tournament team and also on the perfect game preseason all american team. He is a 3X scholar athlete winner award with a 3.8 GPA. 

Joseph Crowder has committed to Marymount University for men’s volleyball. He helped coach and managed the girls varsity volleyball team. He made school history, becoming the  first student coach at CVHS. He played for some national volleyball clubs, captain of the club team, and was selected to try out for the USA volleyball beach national team. He played in every major boys club volleyball tourney the past four years and experienced playing in the USA beach Volleyball national championships. Holding a 4.24 GPA, he is a proud member of NHS, key club and the spanish honor society. 

Kelvin Paez-Morales has played for CSC for six seasons and for FPYC for four seasons. Kelvin has played for CVHS since 10th grade and won MVP for both CSC and FPYC. He is a hard worker, selfless player, and is always willing to do what is best for the team. These traits got him noticed by college coaches. He will be attending Marymount University for soccer. 

Colby Shriner is dedicated to playing baseball at CNU. He is a pitcher for Centreville and also played for SYA mets, Nova Vipers and Stars Baseball. Shriner was named 2nd team all concorde and 1st team perfect game all tournament team. He helped carry the Wildcats to play in the district and regional championship game and the state quarterfinals. He leads by example, is a great teammate and one of the top pitchers in the area this season.

Emily Drankopolous is excited to announce her commitment to swimming at JMU. backstroke and freestyle, She swam for Little Rocky Run Stingrays for 10 years, the Madison Makos for 6 years, the Machine Aquatics national team and for Centrveille in the last 4 years. Emily’s swim times are so fast, she was considered for All American consideration. Drankopolous holds the school record in the 200 medley, 200 freestyle and 40 freestyle relays. She is a 2x state championship swimmer, swam in every district, regional, and state meets for the Wildcats.

Everyone can’t wait to see Nick Anderson take his talents and athleticism to Wake Forest for football. Growing up, Nick has played many other sports, but football is where his passion is at. This season, he also played basketball for the Wildcats. In 2016, he won Nova’s youth football player of the year. He has been an amazing impact and huge contributor to the Wildcats football program. In the last three years, Anderson has been an all district defensive back, 1st team district punter, 1st team region punter, first team all region defensive back, 2nd team all district defensive player of the year and offensive all purpose player of the year and 2nd team all state defensive back, while maintaining a 3.9 GPA. He is a strong, dominant player that everyone looks up to. 

Centreville High School wishes these athletes all the success and the best of luck moving forward with their academic and athletic careers! Go Wildcats!